Virginia Military Institute Kilbourne Hall
This project was a phased renovation and new construction of the existing Building 45 (circa 1939) also known as the old Stables Building (approx. 23,200 gsf) and existing Kilbourne Hall (40,000 gsf). The first phase consisted of renovating Building 45 and constructing an infill between building 45 and the existing Kilbourne. This phase created a new elevated walkway connecting the tunnel under Route 11 to the main floor of the infill.
Construction of the infill became the main entrance to Kilbourne and was the link connecting all three buildings together.
The second phase was to renovate the existing Kilbourne Hall. Prior to renovations, the occupants moved into the infill and Building 45 and allowed for the renovation of Kilbourne.
The Historic Lexington Foundation, which oversees architectural preservation in the local community, recognized VMI for “adaptive reuse” in preserving the 1939 horse stables by incorporation them in the renovated Kilbourne Hall complex.